'He kept' – Cristiano Ronaldo's elite mentality summed up in his private exchange with ex-Man Utd teammate

Former Manchester United star Anthony Elanga has revealed the incredible piece of advice he received from Cristiano Ronaldo during his time at Old Trafford.

Anthony Elanga left Manchester United last summer and completed a reported £15m move to Nottingham Forest after struggling to establish himself at Old Trafford.

The 21-year-old former United winger was reduced to sporadic appearances under Erik ten Hag last season, with Elanga only making five Premier League starts.

Elanga made his feelings perfectly clear on his relationship with United boss Erik ten Hag after he left Old Trafford and signed for Nottingham Forest in 2023.

The Forest star has secured more regular playing time at City Ground under manager Nuno, having started 18 Premier League matches for his current side.

Elanga, who has impressed during his early spell at Forest, came up against the Red Devils in his side’s 2-1 Premier League victory at City Ground last December.

READ MORE: Man Utd fans all convinced Erik ten Hag must start ‘sharp’ Man Utd talent vs Nottingham Forest in FA Cup

FBL-ENG-PR-MAN UTD-NORWICH
Photo by PAUL ELLIS/AFP via Getty Images

Elanga on Ronaldo and Man Utd

Anthony Elanga recalled his experience of playing alongside Cristiano Ronaldo after the Manchester United legend returned to the Premier League club in 2021.

The former United player has also been teammates with former Red Devils and AC Milan striker Zlatan Ibrahimovic on the international stage with Sweden.

Elanga came off the bench for United’s fourth-round FA Cup clash against Middlesbrough at Old Trafford in 2022, which ended in defeat for the Red Devils.

The FA Cup tie was settled with a penalty shootout after neither side could break the 1-1 deadlock, with Middlesbrough beating United 8-7 on penalties.

With Middlesbrough leading United 8-7 on penalties, Elanga stepped up for the 16th spot-kick in the shootout and blazed his shot over the bar at Old Trafford.

Elanga has now revealed that Ronaldo, who missed a penalty during regular playing time in the FA Cup tie, comforted him with some important advice.

Speaking on his time with Ronaldo and Ibrahimovic, Elanga told The Times: “They are easily approachable, I enjoyed working with them and I think they enjoyed working with me.

“I’ve always been someone who wants to find that extra percentage to improve.

“Having Ronaldo come in, I tried to take some chapters out of his book and try and form it into mine.

“There was a time when I missed a penalty [against Middlesbrough in the FA Cup] and after that, he kept speaking to me and telling me, ‘It’s not the end of the world, I’ve missed loads before and you’ve shown character and professionalism taking one at your age.’ I took that on board and that’s really helpful.”

Elanga on facing Man Utd

Nottingham Forest will welcome United to City Ground for the second time this season on Wednesday for their fifth-round FA Cup clash.

Forest boss Nuno is likely to call on Elanga for the cup tie as the Premier League side hope to punch their ticket to the FA Cup quarter-finals.

Elanga said that he relishes the opportunity to play against United and the Sweden international wants to prove he can handle what the Red Devils throw at him.

“For me, it’s about showing I can do it against any team,” he added.

“Especially coming up against your old team you want to show them even more that you can do it.

“I feel I need to keep in my lane and keep doing what I’m doing.

“The people on the outside don’t know me so I don’t listen to the external noise. I just stay inside and try and keep improving.”



from United In Focus https://ift.tt/ubtBGes

Post a Comment

Previous Post Next Post