Harry Redknapp picks who is under more pressure between Michael Carrick and Roberto De Zerbi

Manchester United face winless Tottenham this weekend and Michael Carrick requires a victory. Harry Redknapp says he needs it more than ever.

Michael Carrick aims to get Manchester United back up and running this weekend, following a stuttering start to the season. The Red Devils have won only one of five matches, and also been eliminated from the Carabao Cup.

A home match against 20th-placed Tottenham is ‘in theory’ the ideal way to kickstart the season. But the match is also a double-edged sword, as a defeat or even a draw would pile on the misery at United.

Former Premier League boss Harry Redknapp believes that Carrick is under more scrutiny than Tottenham manager Roberto De Zerbi.

Redknapp told the United official podcast: “Already you feel this is a pressure game on the weekend. I think more pressure probably for Michael than there is for De Zerbi at Spurs.

“I think he [De Zerbi] could he could go 10 to 12 games without winning a game. I still don’t think there’ll be real pressure.

“I just think they [the press] seem ready to turn on Michael very quickly.”

Among bookmakers, Michael Carrick is the current favourite for ‘next manager sacked’, with Roberto De Zerbi close behind. Fulham’s Alvaro Arbeloa is third.

Harry Redknapp’s advice

Harry Redknapp believes that Roberto de Zerbi’s Tottenham will be looking to score early and set the tone for a bad afternoon for home supporters.

“The longer it goes, the more frustrated the fans might get.”

With both teams low in confidence, Redknapp says his advice for United boss Carrick must be that his players must be the ones to make a fast start.

He explained: “If I was Michael, I’d be saying ‘let’s get after them from the first whistle. Let’s play with so much energy today, press them, close them down, win the battles all over the pitch early.

“I think Man United can do it.”



from United In Focus https://ift.tt/lMemGON

Post a Comment

Previous Post Next Post