Youri Tielemans' elite Man Utd mentality makes sense after his influence from world-class figure outside of football – opinion

Youri Tielemans has already shown Manchester United fans how he is not cut from the same cloth as other players due to one of his major influences.

The 29-year-old Belgian midfielder reported to the Carrington training complex on Thursday for the start of his first pre-season training as a Manchester United player.

Youri Tielemans had been away with Belgium at the World Cup and was provided with an extended break ahead of linking up with Michael Carrick’s first-team squad.

Man Utd signed the Belgium international in the summer after the Red Devils triggered his £35m release clause at Premier League side Aston Villa.

READ MORE: The 15 Man Utd first-team stars who have not played in pre-season so far ahead of Atletico Madrid match

Youri Tielemans of Manchester United arrives ahead of a first team training session at Carrington Training Ground on July 30, 2026 in Manchester, England.
Photo by Ash Donelon/Manchester United via Getty Images

Man Utd signing Youri Tielemans looks to NBA icon Michael Jordan for his inspiration rather than a footballer

Youri Tielemans has already shown his leadership qualities in the summer after he captained Belgium to the World Cup quarter-finals in North America.

Not only are his leadership skills desired at Old Trafford, but also for the wealth of midfield experience that Tielemans will bring to the table for next season.

There have been concerns over Tielemans’ recent injury record and age after Manchester United landed him, but the signing has been more than welcomed.

United fans should be optimistic about the former Leicester City and Aston Villa midfielder, considering the influence that has shaped his footballing mentality.

Tielemans admitted that his mindset has been deeply impacted by the exploits of Michael Jordan, who is widely considered one of the best basketball players ever.

“I’ve always been inspired by Michael Jordan,” he told Manchester United’s official website.

“I used to play basketball when I was younger, and he was the main guy. His mentality was relentless, and I really enjoy him as a character, a player and a professional.”

READ MORE: Where to watch Man Utd vs Atletico Madrid: TV channel, live stream and start time

Michael Jordan had the monster mentality that will now help Youri Tielemans step up for the biggest moment of his career

Tielemans has had a steady career after playing at the likes of Leicester City and Villa, but Man Utd will always be another major step up for any player out there.

However, the role model that Tielemans picked out could not have been better, with Michael Jordan’s legacy backing up his so-called ‘GOAT’ status in basketball.

What is more remarkable about Jordan, who won six NBA championships with the Chicago Bulls, is his pure monster mentality mindset carried over post-basketball.

“I’m a very competitive person,” ‘MJ’ told CBS Mornings in March, as per Business Insider in April.

“I think I’m cursed. I’m cursed with this competitive gene that anything that I do is from a competitive lens, you know?

“And in some ways, it keeps me young; it keeps me aggressively thinking positively.”

If Tielemans has admired Jordan as much as he said he has, then the Belgium international’s mentality alone will be well worth the £35m investment.



from United In Focus https://ift.tt/jemAGb5

Post a Comment

Previous Post Next Post