'He is a 10'... Ex Manchester United star raves about two former managers, doesn't mention third

Former Manchester United goalkeeper Sergio Romero has revealed how highly he regards former manager Jose Mourinho.

Sergio Romero also says he is in regular contact with Louis van Gaal, who signed him for Manchester United and also worked with him at AZ Alkmaar.

In a lengthy interview with Argentine outlet La Nacion, Romero details his ongoing relationship with the pair, and speaks of his enjoyment working alongside both.

There is not a single mention of the third Manchester United manager he worked with, Ole Gunnar Solskjaer.

READ: Man Utd injury latest: Updates on every player, projected return dates

Venezia FC v AS Roma - Serie A
Photo by Fabio Rossi/AS Roma via Getty Images

Sergio Romero on Jose Mourinho

Sergio Romero won the League Cup and Europa League as a starter under Jose Mourinho at Manchester United in 2017, and it is under the Portuguese boss he has the happiest memories.

Romero explained: “With José we shared many very good moments at United. Currently we have a lot of contact. As a person he is a 10, he is excellent. 

“He arrived at United and straight away he told me what he wanted from me and he described to me what he knew he could get from me. We’ve had great post-match talks, a very thoughtful guy. He loves the South Americans very, very, very much.”

Romero is currently playing for Boca Juniors and adds, “When I signed in Boca he wrote to me, and every time I save penalties he writes to me.”

The pair were briefly reunited in Serie A in 2021/22 when Romero spent the season at Venezia, with Mourinho in charge at Roma.

Romero on Van Gaal

Romero has a lot of affection for Louis van Gaal, and explains: “I had the opportunity to get to know both sides of Van Gaal, because he is not just a coach. I was lucky enough to meet the man, and he is a great person.

“At AZ Alkmaar he suggested we do a lot of things that didn’t even appear in a footballer’s plans, like going to share the day with kids with different abilities.

“He had sensitivity and warmth to integrate me into my 20s. And on the field, for me, he was a teacher from day 1, who shook my hand and told me: “For me you are no longer a goalkeeper, you are my number 11 player.” I have great appreciation for him, he behaved excellently with me.”

Van Gaal is currently battling illness and Romero says he is constantly in contact to check up on his former boss, and friend.

He said: “I always take the time to write to him to convey my concern and my greetings. I write to him by email and he responds right away. And in Spanish he answers you.”

The post 'He is a 10'... Ex Manchester United star raves about two former managers, doesn't mention third appeared first on United In Focus.



from United In Focus https://ift.tt/6rCStwG

Post a Comment

Previous Post Next Post