'I fulfilled' – former Man Utd manager identifies the three big achievements he completed during his time at Old Trafford

Ole Gunnar Solskjaer has outlined the three big achievements that he was able to fulfil at Old Trafford during his spell as Manchester United manager.

The 50-year-old ex-Manchester United manager returned to Old Trafford in 2018 as caretaker manager after Jose Mourinho was sacked from the Premier League club.

Ole Gunnar Solskjaer impressed during his caretaker spell and led United to a famous 3-1 win over Paris Saint-Germain in the second-leg last-16 Champions League tie in 2019.

The Norwegian later succeeded Jose Mourinho on a permanent basis at United and enjoyed some success during his time in charge at Old Trafford.

Solskjaer secured a second-place Premier League finish with United in the 2020-21 season, although the Red Devils legend fell short of the Europa League title.

The former United star’s time at Old Trafford came to an end in 2021 after a disappointing start to the 2021-22 Premier League season.

READ MORE: Ryan Giggs dropped his biggest prediction for Man Utd and Erik ten Hag to date, he is dead ‘serious’

Watford v Manchester United - Premier League
Photo by Mark Leech/Offside/Offside via Getty Images

Solskjaer on ‘initial remit’ at Man Utd

Ole Gunnar Solskjaer was sacked from Manchester United after a 4-1 defeat to Watford at Vicarage Road in November 2021.

The former United boss was later succeeded at Old Trafford by current manager Erik ten Hag, who arrived from Dutch side Ajax in 2022.

Solskjaer admitted his devastation over not lifting major silverware as United boss after the Red Devils were beaten on penalties by Villarreal in the Europa League final.

However, the United legend stressed the importance of completing his “initial remit” at Old Trafford and the three things he felt that he achieved at the club.

Speaking to The National, Solskjaer said: “I didn’t win a trophy at United and I know that matters.

“I was a penalty kick away from winning one against Villarreal [in the 2021 Europa League final].”

He added: “But I fulfilled my initial remit at United.

“Got people smiling again. Get the team winning. Lay down the foundations for good performances against all teams. And I did that.

“We were unbeaten away from home for 29 games. It’s not easy to do that.

“We went to places like Manchester City and beat them. We didn’t win the league but, trust me, to finish second and third with the squad I had was an achievement.”

Solskjaer on his time in Norway

Solskjaer has been out of management since his exit from Old Trafford, with the United legend surprisingly being linked with Bayern Munich recently.

However, the ex-United forward has since taken on a role as a technical advisor for UEFA and has even been coaching youth players in his native homeland of Norway.

Solskjaer said that his experience in his native homeland is different, with the United legend admitting that he isn’t stopped in public for photos in Kristiansund, Norway.

“I enjoy having the time with my kids and watching them training,” he said.

“I go to Alesund and see my two eldest play there. I coach my youngest, I go out, go to concerts, do anything that I want. It’s different to what I’ve done for 25-26 years.

“Nobody stops me for photos in Kristiansund.”



from United In Focus https://ift.tt/bMfHa2F

Post a Comment

Previous Post Next Post