'The most': Benni McCarthy explains what Bruno Fernandes did more than any other Man United star

Ruud van Nistelrooy is not the only iconic former striker who has worked on Manchester United’s coaching staff during the Erik ten Hag era.

While the return to Carrington of the great goal-poacher captured the minds of not only the Manchester United fans but also many of their players – Joshua Zirkzee has spoken in glowing terms about Ruud van Nistelrooy – there was another Red Devils coach who had Bruno Fernandes hanging onto his every word.

Born in the Grande Porto municipality of Maia, Fernandes spent much of his childhood watching on in awe as Benni McCarthy banged in the goals for the Portuguese giants.

McCarthy spent four years at the Estadio do Dragao until 2006.

The South African icon was a key part of that Jose Mourinho-led Porto side which claimed the Champions League title, scoring twice in a famous win over Sir Alex Ferguson’s Man United side during their run to the final.

As such, Fernandes was keen to take on board every piece of advice given to him by one of his boyhood heroes during McCarthy’s two-season stint on the Man United coaching staff.

Bruno Fernandes of Manchester United applauds fans following the Carabao Cup Third Round match between Manchester United and Barnsley at Old Traffo...
Photo by Ash Donelon/Manchester United via Getty Images

Benni McCarthy opens up on Bruno Fernandes relationship at Manchester United

“Captain fantastic,” smiles the former Blackburn hitman, McCarthy backing Erik ten Hag to turn around Manchester United while opening up on his relationship with the Dutchman’s trusty skipper.

“Bruno grew up in Porto, not far from the Dragon Stadium, so his family is all ‘Portistas’. Me and Bruno, we just have a different [understanding].

“He would say; ‘Hey, remember you used to take free-kicks like that?’. Bruno would ask me, he was the player who asked me the most to work on things because obviously he watched me playing.

“He idolised Cristiano Ronaldo but he idolised that generation of Portuguese football That is the generation these players grew up watching, and I was part of it.

“So he is probably the player I speak to the most.”

McCarthy may no longer be on United’s payroll – he left over the summer as part of that Ineos overhaul – but that does not mean he has seen the last of the Old Trafford skipper.

“He always checks up on me, [saying]; ‘Hey, you OK? Please, [let me know] when you are in Manchester. If you don’t, I’m gonna kill you!’,” McCarthy adds with a laugh.

Bruno Fernandes desperate to find form again for Man United

Without a goal in his first seven games of the new Premier League season, Fernandes could certainly do with channelling his inner-McCarthy – or Van Nistelrooy, for that matter – with his form a source of growing concern amongst the Man United fanbase.

Fernandes’ emotional return to Porto in the Europa League certainly did not go to plan either. He was sent off late on with Ten Hag needing Harry Maguire to rescue a late draw.

“I want to improve as soon as I get [back to Man United], and make sure the goals start coming again,” Fernandes said this week, via the club’s official website.

“I have to take responsibility for that too, because I’m a midfielder who scores a lot of goals. And, over the years, I’ve always been at a very high level in terms of goals and I have to live up to that, with those expectations.

“I also have my own standards, I don’t hold back on that.

“I haven’t scored for the club yet and I hope that as soon as I get there I can score and help the club get back to winning ways and to a good level.”



from United In Focus https://ift.tt/FOiIquc

Post a Comment

Previous Post Next Post