Ryan Giggs shares full story how he told Man Utd to sign Kylian Mbappe in 2015

Ryan Giggs was coaching at Manchester United in 2015 when he recommended the scouting network to watch Kylian Mbappe as a teenager.

Between 2013 and 2016, Ryan Giggs worked as a coach at Manchester United in three different roles.

Giggs’ initial role was as player-coach. It was an appointment made by Sir Alex Ferguson’s successor, David Moyes, to lean on the most decorated player in English football history before he hung up his boots.

After Moyes was sacked in May 2014, the former Wales international took charge of the final four games of the 2013/14 season. The Welshman then remained at the club, serving as assistant coach to Louis van Gaal following his decision to retire.

Ryan Giggs watching Swansea City U21 v Sheffield United U21
Photo by Ryan Hiscott/Getty Images

Ryan Giggs spotted Kylian Mbappe’s talent early on

Kylian Mbappe is widely regarded as one of the best strikers in world football.

The French star is currently starring in Jose Mourinho’s Real Madrid side, after previously earning the status as Paris Saint-Germain’s talisman.

However, before signing for PSG, Mbappe made his name at Monaco, a club he joined at 14.

Mbappe emerged on United’s radar when he was 15, after Giggs received a tip from a United fan who was familiar with youth football in France at the time.

Rio Ferdinand quizzed Giggs about his Mbappe scouting mission on the latest episode of Rio Ferdinand Presents.

Giggs recalls watching Mbappe and being so impressed that he recommended the young forward to scouts at United.

Except those scouts weren’t sure about Mbappe after watching him play against PSG for Monaco’s youth team.

“So, I’m in the south of France,” Giggs said.

“I was coaching United, so it’d be 2015. I’ve been for a walk in the local village and I’m walking back to the hotel. I’m walking on the beach back to the hotel. And you can feel, I can feel someone, you know, when you feel someone like following you. And I’m like, I get to the hotel and then all of a sudden I can feel someone coming up to me.

“Anyway, this guy is called Lionel, French guy. So he comes up to me and says, ‘Hi, I’m Lionel. I just wanted to just say hello. I’m a big United fan and big fan of yours. But I watch a lot of youth football in France, and you have to look at this player. He’s called Kylian Mbappé. He’s at Monaco and I think he’s a player for Man United.’

“A few weeks later, he emailed me all the details. So me and Albert again, who’s the coach with Arsenal, he was another assistant at United at the time. We used to in the afternoons just go and watch games or go and watch players at the training ground.

“So anyway, I’ve told him about this thing. He says, come on, let’s get him up. And we got a few youth games with Monaco and we seen him and just like, wow, what is this? You know, you can see players and they can be special, but he did look exceptional, obviously.

“So anyway, we told the scouting team. They went to watch him. Someone in France went to watch him and he was actually playing PSG. Monaco were playing PSG. So they went to Paris to watch him. Anyway, I think a few weeks later, I said to this guy, ‘how did it go?’ He went, ‘yeah, they weren’t too sure about him’, so we just left it, and that was it.”

Ryan Giggs was also tipped about Rayan Cherki and William Saliba

The same United fan recommended two other French players who have since become Premier League stars.

That includes Man City’s Rayan Cherki and Arsenal’s William Saliba.

“And this same guy, Lionel, because I went through my texts with him and 2018, he’s telling me about there’s a player, he is under-14s, but he’s playing in the 17s. Rayan Cherki,” Giggs added.

“Then his next message, there’s a player, Saint-Étienne, Saliba. I think he’d be a good player for Man United.”



from United In Focus https://ift.tt/tJFZGOR

Post a Comment

Previous Post Next Post