'I can only' - Sir Alex Ferguson earned the deep-seated 'respect' of one Man Utd legend who refused to admire 'weak' people

Iconic former manager Sir Alex Ferguson earned the ultimate “respect” from one Manchester United legend he coached in his illustrious career at Old Trafford.

Sir Alex Ferguson is widely regarded as one of the best head coaches of all time after his legendary career in the managerial dugout.

The 82-year-old Scotsman enjoyed incredible success in both Scotland with Aberdeen and in England with Manchester United.

During his time at Old Trafford, Ferguson became the first manager in history to lead an English team to a continental treble after United achieved the feat in 1999.

The iconic Scot led the Red Devils to a whopping 13 Premier League titles, including the club’s last league triumph at the end of the 2012-13 season.

Aberdeen and United legend Ferguson bowed out of management in 2013 and called it time on a legendary spell at Old Trafford.

READ MORE: Eric Cantona didn’t hesitate to oppose major change that Sir Jim Ratcliffe wants at Man Utd, he will ‘never’ back it

Sir Alex Ferguson attends the UEFA EURO 2024 group stage match between Germany and Scotland at Munich Football Arena on June 14, 2024 in Munich, Ge...
Photo by Jean Catuffe/Getty Images

Ferguson earned respect of Man Utd legend

Sir Alex Ferguson managed a roster of star-studded talent at Manchester United, including Paul Scholes, Ryan Giggs, Eric Cantona and Cristiano Ronaldo.

However, the legendary former United manager was a huge admirer of Eric Cantona, who had a sensational impact at Old Trafford during the 1990s.

Cantona arrived at United in 1992 from Leeds United and was a larger-than-life figure at the Red Devils, with the Frenchman becoming a key locker-room figure.

The 58-year-old former United star lifted four Premier League titles and two FA Cups during a scintillating spell at the Red Devils.

Speaking to The Times, Cantona revealed his deep admiration for Ferguson and how the United legend won over his “respect” after the impact he had on him.

“Sir Alex Ferguson was like a friend,” he told the newspaper.

“I can only work well with people that I respect and people who respect me. But sometimes they respect me and I cannot respect them because I feel that they are too weak.

“I need to feel their heart inside, with some emotions, like humility and humanity.”

READ MORE: Sir Jim Ratcliffe’s favourite Man Utd legend approached over Old Trafford role, he would want to be ‘really involved’

Man Utd legend Cantona on his retirement

Despite his incredible success at Old Trafford, Eric Cantona shocked the world in 1997 with his sudden retirement from football at only the age of 30.

The eccentric former France international pursued other interests while away from football, including his acting career and working as a musician.

However, Cantona has now admitted that he didn’t spend “too much time” watching football after his retirement because he knew he would “miss it.”

“I lost passion for the game. I was still young, 30, when I retired,” he said.

“I didn’t want to watch games. I knew that if I spent too much time in front of the TV watching the game, I would miss it.

“So I went away from my drug dealer [football].”



from United In Focus https://ift.tt/xl3wgQt

Post a Comment

Previous Post Next Post